Seattle and national health resources
For Life Threatening Emergencies: Call 9-1-1
Depression and anxiety, suicide and crisis hotlines:
- Seattle Crisis Hotline crisisclinic.org (866-427-4747)
- http://www.translifeline.org 1-877-565-8860
- LGBTQ Youth suicide hotline: 1-866-4-U-TREVOR
Places to get mental health care:
- www.seamar.org/ – mental counseling services
- Sound Mental Health: smh.org
For established patients (that is, you have seen me for an in-office visit), I offer phone availability for after-hours situations. You can also usually be seen in the office within 24 hours for urgent situations. Sometimes, though, that’s not possible. So for when it’s not bad enough for the emergency room, but can’t wait until the office is open:
Country Doctor After Hours Clinic: located at Swedish Cherry Hill at 550 16th Ave, Seattle, WA 98122
Open 6-10 pm M-F and 12-10 pm Sat & Sun. Call (206) 329-5556; may not be open on holidays. Takes all insurances. Long-time provider of health care to the LGTBQ community.
Immediate Clinic: Make an appointment online at https://www.immediateclinic.com/ (also takes Apple Health, Molina, UHC Community Plan and Amerigroup)
Reliable places to buy locally:
- Trader Joe’s for good food at good prices.
- Pharmaca: an integrative pharmacy. Has several stores in the Seattle area.
- PCC for food and health products: www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/
- Rainbow Natural in Capitol Hill: locally owned and operated, for supplements: rainbownatural.com/
- Dandelion Botanical: for purchasing bulk herbs and tinctures: www.dandelionbotanical.com/
- Herban Wellness: another local stores with reliable herbal products. www.herbanwellness.net/
- The Herbalist: again, reliable herbal products; http://store.theherbalist.com/
Not local, but reliable online for supplements:
Transgender and LGBTQ Resources:
- Ingersollcenter.org: resources for transgender and gender non-conforming individuals.
- genderodyssey.org: a yearly conference, but also a valuable resource for training and information.
- King County Trans Resource and Referral Guide
Insurer’s portals: Medicaid, Premera, Molina, Amerigroup, UHC, Regence, Group Health
- Medicaid: https://www.waproviderone.org/client
- Molina Healthcare: www.molinahealthcare.com/
- Amerigroup: https://www.myamerigroup.com/
- United Healthcare Community Plan: www.uhccommunityplan.com/ (Applehealth/Medicaid)
- United Healthcare (all other): https://www.uhc.com/
- Premera: https://www.premera.com
- Regence: https://www.regence.com/web/regenceindividual/
- First Choice: https://www.fchn.com/
- Group Health Co-op: https://www.ghc.org/
- Need insurance? Start your search at Washington Healthplan Finder
For learning more about natural, integrative and functional medicine:
- American Association of Naturopathic Physicians: naturopathic.org
- Naturopathic Primary Care Association: www.ndprimarycare.org/
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health: https://nccih.nih.gov/
- Gay and Lesbian Medical Association: GLMA.org
- Washington Association of Naturopathic Physicians: www.wanp.org
Nutrition and Food:
In general, the research supports a heavily plant-based diet (though not necessarily vegan) for optimal health.
- The Physician’s Committee for Responsible Medicine: www.pcrm.org
- Nutritionfacts.org: The site of Michael Greger, MD, author of How Not To Die. Great site for looking at studies relating to nutrition and health.
- https://www.choosemyplate.gov/ My Plate – a good place to start for advice.
- DASH (Dietary Approaches To Stop Hypertension) diet: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/public/heart/dash_brief.pdf